Sunday, March 28, 2010

"Animal Farm" and GET OFF MY TV!!


I can't tell you how unbelievably funny this book was! It was such a parallel to government these days (or what I'm sure earlier governments were). I focuses on totalitarianism and how governments tend to change their views/laws to protect those who feel they are superior. (Hey, this doesn't sound so ancient now does it...hmmmm!)
The book is set on a farm (duh!) wherein all the animals can talk. The animals are, in their eyes, treated poorly, and succeed in running off the farmer (Jones) with their revolt.

(For some reason, this reminds me of something I heard on Michael Moore's movie, "Sicko." Someone in the movie said that the difference between the French government and the United States' government is that the French are afraid of revolt and afraid of their people rising up against them. We all know America's theory: "Speak softly and carry a big stick," but I digress).

Anyway, the farmer is run off and the pigs (who knew pigs were such smart animals?!) became the head of the the farm. What's funny is they constantly dangled the idea of Jones returning in front of their eyes to justify the way they rules the farm. They made the animals petrified of this "enemy" to continue to rule how they saw fit. (Sound familiar?) They reneged on their rules (ex: "No animal shall drink alcohol" became "No animal shall drink alcohol in excess," etc.). Basically all the rules were changed to fit the needs of the reigning regime (the pigs...which I must say also cracked me up!). I recommend this book if you want a funny outtake on government.



My son won't leave my TV alone. I allow him to watch 1-2 episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba! a day, once in the morning (maybe) and definitely one in the evening while I am cooking dinner in the kitchen. Fortunately, my little man is perfect weight for his height, but this height business is screwing with my television viewing pleasures. For some reason it is appealing to him to turn off the TV during a program (and no, I do not have DVR to rewind!). Along with turning off the TV is his ability to open the refrigerator door. That's right. He's figured it out, everyone. And I must admit, it's kind of annoying to be trying to cook dinner and someone is handing you a bag of shredded cheddar cheese because they're hungry NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment