Sunday, March 28, 2010

"Sula" and BOTTLE FREE!

What are the first words I think of when I hear, "Sula," now? The term, "trifling heifer," comes to mind!



Sorry, this post may sound a wee bit harsh, but I have a very low tolerance for home wreckers (whether the man/woman is married or not). This part alone made it very hard for me to pay attention to this book. Having been in a situation where I was betrayed by a best friend, I can't tolerate it. Nope. Just can't do it!


The story takes place in the 1920's with Sula Peace and Nel Wright as best friends. There are so many instances where Toni Morrison described how "tight" these girls were as children. Unfortunately, time moves on and Sula left their small hometown for the city. There she learned the ways of the world I guess you could say. Upon her return to their hometown, Sula betrays her oldest and best friends in one of the most hideous ways. I think what ultimately ticks me off is the way that, in the end, Nel comes back to Sula trying to help her as she is dying. I must say that Nel had to have been one heck of a woman. I'm all for forgiveness but I'll be darned if I'm helping you on your death bed!


I appreciated the writing style (Toni Morrison's imagery is out of this world!) and loved how much of an easy read this was. (I guess I should say listen as that is how I "read" most of my books!). Sorry this review is not much of a review, but it really put a bad taste in my mouth.






This is the last picture of my son and his bottle. He has been bottle free for 15 days as of today. I am so proud of him. I stressed for months about how in the world I was going to wean this little man off of something that is so comforting to him. As you can see here, he is one-handing the bottle. I think when he started doing this that I really started contemplating weaning. I must say that I could not have done this without our sitter and I am so appreciative of her.

He is so picky about the type of cup he drinks. He has 2 Mickey Mouse Playtex cups I bought from Babies R Us; one for home, one for the sitter. Those are the only 2 he will take. He is so strong willed when it comes to drinking out of or eating anything he does not recognize. He will turn his head and walk away from anything he doesn't like. I sure hope he'll do this with women in hisfuture!

No comments:

Post a Comment