Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"A Fine Balance" & Seriously...Bananas??

This book has been on my TBR (To Be Read) pile for years. I'm not even kidding you. This book has been on the list since college. As you can see by the cover of the book, it's another Oprah's book club choice. I don't know why I do this to myself because we all know how depressinggggg Oprah's choices can be. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other book lists (hint: if you're reading this, please give me some suggestions!)

This novel is set in the 1970's in India. This novel has a lot of different aspects to it. For some reason, I keep choosing books that have multiple characters with multiple stories. In the 1970's there was a, "State of Emergency," declared by the Prime Minister. To go into all the horrible things that happened during this state of emergency would take all day, so suffice it to say that it involved an attempted extermination of the poor. Houses were destroyed, sterilization of men and women (for population control), and in some instances, castration. No, I'm not lying.

The novel exhibits the strength and independence of a woman without the help of a man, the determination of a relative to provide for his nephew due to his parents being killed, and the serious depression of a college student which reached its culmination at the end of the novel.

If I have to focus on one thing throughout the novel, it is the depression of this college student, Maneck. He was sent away to college by his parents for a certificate in HVAC. Maneck felt slighted and felt as if his parents did not care and that he had no one. Having been a college student on a campus of over 20,000 students, I have heard of my fair share of depressive stories...even those leading to suicide. In my 3 1/2 years of college, I knew of at least 3 suicides; 2 hangings, and 1 overdose. It's almost like you know these types of things occur, but you can't undestand why. I can't understand it. I wish I could sit down with someone who has attempted suicide and pick their brain about what was going through their heads. I have been to some seriously low points in my life where I felt like I had no hope, my life was over, etc. But all I had to think of was my family or my friends (and not to mention my belief in Jesus Christ) and imagine how they would feel. What would happen to me afterwards? I wish there was a way I could speak to those considering this final choice and explain that rock bottom is okay since you can only go up from there.

So off of my depressing tangent and onto something cuter! Ok, so I know every kid has their favorite food or preference, but my son is cuckoo for bananas. When I tell you this kid goes absolutely crazy when he's sees the bananas on the stovetop (I keep them towards the back between the burners) I mean he goes NUTS! I have taken to keeping the bananas in a cabinet. How sad is this? We tried putting them on top of the fridge. Nope, didn't work because guess what's on top of the fridge? Ritz crackers and Goldfish. Darn baked snacks! This picture was taken at the Cracker Barrel for our little trio breakfast. Cut up bananas came with the oatmeal (which he also loves). He refused to eat the oatmeal and ate the bananas. Come to find out, there were 2 cut up bananas in the bowl. Talk about constipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment